Thursday, December 3, 2015

Allowing the well to re-fill: the weeks following Crimebake 2015

I belong to a professional group called Sisters in Crime. It's more than a cute play on words. The organization was started in the 1980's to raise awareness that male mystery writers made more money than their female peers. That's a simple version of a more detailed origin story, but you get the drift.

Every year, SinC ("Sin-cee") as we call it, hosts a conference for crime writers of both genders. We call it Crimebake. Writers come from all over to attend workshops on craft, figure out whodunit with a mock crime scene set up in one of the hotel's conference rooms and we also go to network, meet agents, pitch agents and well, have a ton o' fun.

Elizabeth George shares her wisdom on a panel at the 2015 Crimebake: "If your story has lost steam, you've shown your hand too soon.

The keynote speaker and special guest this year was Elizabeth George, author of the Detective Lynley novels, which have also been produced by PBS into a nice series. I haven't seen those yet, but I have one from Netflix waiting for my Home-Alone self to get wrapped in a shawl, pour a glass of wine and settle in for ninety-minutes of fun. That's tonight.

Fake crime scene at 2014 Crimebake

Ms. George has written over twenty Lynley novels, so I'm going to say she knows what she's doing. And one thing she shared with us over lunch one day during Crimebake was: at some point in your writing, you have to pause and let your creative well re-fill. "I had finished a novel," Ms. George said, "and I told my editor I didn't know if I had another book in me. She told me to let my well fill up again."

A light moment at Crimebake. Hallie Ephron and Elizabeth George on a panel.


So weeks later, I'm back from the conference and although I got home a bit dejected (the agent I have been working with for a year had some feedback I didn't want to hear), I am allowing myself some time to enjoy the holiday while I catch up on some administrative work.  I had a great Thanksgiving with my husband and son, and now I'm home alone for five days. What will I do to fill that creative well?


I've already scheduled in 5 days of yoga, which is tremendously calming and restoring. I will set a reasonable daily writing goal. I'm thinking of taking the advice of fellow Maine writer Kaitlyn Dunnett. She writes an entire scene in a day rather than quitting after meeting a pre-set word count. That latter thing is what's getting me in trouble with my novel in progress. I finish writing my 1000 words then stop. When I pick up later, in a new scene, that last one seems incomplete. Old dog, new trick. I can do it.

Paella for one, coming up!


I'll cook every day. I'm finishing up a curried winter vegetable soup and the remaining 4 days I'll focus on light, clean and healthy food. I'll read up a storm. My bedside book is Elizabeth George's second Lynley novel, Payment in Blood. My downstairs book is Maine writer Gerry Boyle's Deadline, the very first in his Jack McMorrow series. Both are great reads.

Maine writer Gerry Boyle talk on a panel about sidekicks in mysteries

And let's not forget Christmas preparations! I've got the tree and it's partially decorated. Needs smaller ornaments. If it stops raining, I'll put up some lights around the front door. And I haven't even started shopping yet. Deep breath, and exhale!

(Sorry the photos are fuzzy....tech deprived).

No comments:

Post a Comment